THE HISTORY OF ENFIELD, ILLINOIS PART
If space permitted, I would include complete genealogies of the early families
of Enfield, but some of them are so lengthy that I can give only brief outlines.
The Miller family tree has many branches. John
Miller was the immigrant ancestor who came to South Carolina. Peter and James
were the sons who came to Enfield Township in 1813, James Miller married
Jane Rutledge in Georgia in 1807. They migrated to Henderson County, Kentucky,
and then to Illinois. They were the parents of eight children and in 1903
when a family reunion was held at the old homestead, then owned by John M.
Jordan--now owned by Mr. Jordan's son-in-law, Marion Bleeks, there were three
hundred seventy-two living descendants.
an elder brother of dames, married Susan McClary in Georgia. He and James
settled in Seven Mile Prairie at the same time. When the Cumberland ministers
came up from Tennessee, Peter Miller refused to leave Sharon, the "Old
School" Presbyterian Church and persuaded James Rutledge, his brother-in-law
to remain with him. Peter and Susan Miller had nine children. In 1827, Peter
Miller taught a subscription school.
The Millers have always been active in the affairs of Enfield Township. Peter
Miller gave the land for the old graveyard, and was one of the first Ruling
Elders of Sharon Church. Hopewell Church was organized in the home of James
Miller and he was a ruling elder for 30 years. His son, Rev. John Millage Miller
was pastor from the time he was ordained in 1846 until his death in 1881. Another
son, Mark A. Miller, was a ruling elder for 50 years. Peter C. Miller donated
the land for the Southern Illinois College. Millage C. Miller originated Mule
Day, our annual celebration and homecoming. The Kiwanis Park was named for
E. N. Miller and W. A. Miller heads our school system.
In 1903, it was the boast of the Miller family that there had never been a
member of the family in prison or a public charge and that none had ever been
engaged in the liquor business. The occupations listed were minister, teacher,
merchant, banker, jeweleryman, saddler, miner, machinist and lumberman. There
are more Miller descendants in Enfield than of any other pioneer family for
the Millers stayed here when others went north and west.
Orr -- Robert
Orr was born in the Carolinas in 1769. His father had embarked from Ireland
because his father had sent him to learn the weaver's trade and he could
not get along with his employer. After the death of his parents when he was
quite young, Robert, when still a boy, drove cattle through the wilderness
with his brother-in-law to Tennessee. Robert Orr brought his family to White
County about 1820. He had thirteen children--four sons and nine daughters.
Only one of the children was married at that time--William had married Sally
Hedgepath in Davidson County, Tennessee. The others married soon after coming
to Illinois. Robert Orr called "Gransite" by his grandchildren, died in 1846
before the Village of Enfield was laid out, but his children and grandchildren
were among the very first to move into town. William Orr built the house on
Main Street now owned by Ralph Miller. Additions have been made but it still
retains the simple lines of the early log houses. The Orrs took a leading part
in shaping the destiny of Enfield. The Orr Brothers built the first frame house
in 1854 in which they kept store. They were millers and prior to 1860, Pleasant
and David, grandsons of "Gransite" Orr had an undertaking establishment for
I came across their names in old papers relating to the administration of estates-"To
coffin and shrouding for Eli York--$21.70-P. A. and D. M. Orr."
was the Postmaster of Enfield, the fourth to serve, according to the White
County History. The name is given "M. Orr" for
some reason. His name was David McLin Orr. Mrs. Zeke Jordan whose memories
are reflected in this book was Adelaide Orr, the daughter of Pleasant A.
Orr. The Orrs were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church when they
came to White County and have always been loyal to that faith. There are
many descendants of Robert Orr living in Enfield, but only one of the name--Stanley
Orr and daughter, Rosemary.
Joseph and Robert Hawthorne were born in County Monaghan, Ireland, early in
the 1750's. They were Protestants and sailed on the Brigantine, Chichester,
for America in 1768, with their parents and six brothers and sisters. A brigantine
was a two masted square rigged vessel and it probably took them several weeks
to cross the Atlantic. They landed in South Carolina and both brothers were
soldiers in the Revolutionary War. After the war they migrated to Georgia where
they were large land holders. But they were lured by stories of rich land in
the north and west and in 1791, Robert Hawthorne sold 1850 acres on the Beaverdam
River in Georgia and the Hawthornes began the long migration to the Illinois
Territory. They lived in Henderson County, Kentucky, twelve years and then
came to White County, Illinois, while it was still a part of Gallatin County.
Joseph Hawthorne's son, Robert H. Hawthorne remained in Camden, Tennessee,
and enlisted in the Confederate Army at the age of 60. William Hawthorne, son
of Joseph, died in 1844, not married. Other children of Joseph were Betty who
married a McWhorter and died leaving a daughter, Betsey, who married a Sexton,
and had children. Another daughter, Margaret Hawthorne, married Arthur Fowler.
Robert Hawthorne had a son, Robert, who was a soldier in the War of 1812 who
came to Enfield Township in 1815 and settled northeast of town. Robert, Jr.,
was the father of James Hawthorne who married Mary Ann Fields and had eight
children. One of the daughters married William Baird, who owned the lumber
yard at an early day in Enfield and built the first brick store. Mrs. Joe Winemiller
of Enfield and Ralph Hawthorne of Galesburg are grandchildren of James Hawthorne.
The Gowdys have always been one of the leading families in Enfield. Robert
Gowdy, John C. Gowdy and their sisters, Sarah and Elizabeth, lived in Guilford
County, North Carolina, and always remembered hearing the sound of the firing
of musketry at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in the Revolutionary War when
they were children. Their brother, James, was a soldier in the Revolution,
and mentioned his Regimental coat in his will, on record at the Guilford County
The Gowdys removed to Sumner County, Tennessee, prior to 1800, where John
C. owned land. Miss Allie Goudy still has the deed to this land dated June
28, 1800. In 1817 Robert Gowdy came to Illinois Territory and took up an original
grant from the government northeast of the present site of Enfield, in Section
9. John C. Gowdy took up a claim in 1819 in section 18. They were members of
the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and Robert and John C. were both Elders
in Hopewell Church.
John C. Gowdy was a member of the Legislature in 1832-34 and traveled to Vandalia
on horseback for the sessions.
Sarah Gowdy married John Anderson. (See Andersons) and Elizabeth married a
Billingsley in North Carolina, and may have married a McLin later. There is
some uncertainty about this.
There are so many of the Gowdys that I cannot follow up this genealogy in
so small a book, but I must mention Leander F. Gowdy, who with his wife, Emily,
were leading citizens of Enfield for many years. Mr. Gowdy was a great grandson
of John C. Gowdy. Mrs. Ernest (Ella Gowdy) Engle and her sister, Miss Etta
Gowdy, Mrs. J. W. (Ella Gowdy) Davis and Miss Allie Goudy are all great granddaughters
of John C. Gowdy. There may be others of the fourth generation, but the only
member of the third generation, Mrs. Martin (Nancy King) Orr died this summer
at the age of 96. Miss Mary B. Campbell is a great granddaughter of Robert
Gowdy. Allen Campbell, her brother, lives in Greenup, Illinois.
Fields -- Joshua Fields is listed in the 1820 census,--1 white male over 21
and 7 others. The tombstone of Joshua Fields is in the Enfield Cemetery. Joshua
Fields, born 1770--died 1822. In his memoirs, 'Squire Goudy says that Jeremiah
Fields was the son of Joshua and since Thomas Fields was a brother of Jeremiah,
he, too, was a son of Joshua. There is another Fields, William, in the 1820
census, and his name also appears in the Hopewell Church records. William was
probably a son of Joshua too. Thomas was born in 1793 and a was a soldier in
the War of 1812 and in the Black Hawk War. Jeremiah and Thomas both have a
large number of descendants living in the township and the town. The older
ones are in the fifth and sixth generations from Joshua Fields. Captain James
Fields, son of Thomas, was a soldier in the Mexican War and in the Civil War
where he was wounded and his brother, Joshua, was killed. John W. Fields was
lost on the General Lyon and Robert M. Fields was killed at Vicksburg.
Wallace -- Morgan Wallace, Sr., was an early settler in this part of the country.
His first wife was Elizabeth Lucas and after her death, he married Malinda
Mayes. Morgan Wallace was a trustee of the Manual Labor Seminary at Burnt Prairie.
He died in 1853, leaving a large family. Mrs. Rosa Gentry of near Enfield is
a granddaughter of Morgan Wallace, Sr., as well as Mrs. James (Mary Wallace)
Lee now staying in Norris City, and Mrs. Richard (Olive Miller) Land of Enfield.
There may be others.
The Willis family has taking a leading part in both banking and mercantile
enterprises in Enfield. James E. Willis was a pioneer in Pope County, an
early settler in Golconda where he and his wife were charter members of the
Presbyterian Church in 1819. Their son, Felix H. Willis, came to Enfield
Township prior to 1838. He married Mary Jane Miller, daughter of James Miller.
The children of this marriage were James E., Robert Chalmer, G. A., and Benjamin
L. Felix H. Willis commenced selling goods
on his farm in 1856 and in 1862 he removed to Enfield where he kept a general
store until 1874 when he sold it to his sons, J. E. and R. C. Willis. (This
store was where Newman's now is located). In 1896, Willis Brothers went into
the banking business; they also had interests in the lumber yard and owned
much farm land. G. A. Willis married Eliza Nation. James E. Willis married
Jennie Campbell, Robert C. Willis married Mary Swan, daughter of Rev. Benjamin
Swan, and Benjamin Willis married Sally Campbell. The Willis family belonged
to the Old School Presbyterian School and then united with the First Presbyterian
Stinson--The Stinsons were another important family of merchants in Enfield.
There were four Stinson Brothers and they had their first store in Enfield
in 1886. W. E. Stinson married Mary Brissenden, Rufus Stinson married Minnie
Willis and Robert Stinson married Emma Miller. Charles Stinson was the fourth
brother. By 1901 the Stinsons had stores in Mt. Vernon, Carmi, McLeansboro
and Enfield, where they had two.
Young--Edward M. Young, the editor of the Enfield Express was born in Wayne
County in 1862. He took a collegiate course and followed the teaching profession
for about ten years. He was married to Ida M. Clark in 1886. They had one son
and four daughters. Mr. Young became editor of the Enfield Express in 1893.
Associated with Mr. Young in this enterprise was A. C. Clippinger of Fairfield,
who moved his family to Enfield. Mr. Clippinger was the experienced member
of the partnership. In 1895, he went to Norris City and started the Norris
City Record. Mr. Young died in 1951 but Mrs. Young survives him. Frank Young,
the son, lives on a farm near Enfield.
The Veatch family have long been residents of Enfield Township. Originally
from Scotland, the first Veatch settled in Maryland. Elias Veatch and his
brother, Isaac, were soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Elias came to Illinois
and settled in the southern part of the township. He and his wife had four
sons and four' daughters. Isaac, one of his sons, was active in the early
history of Carmi, but like a number of others, he came back to Seven Mile
Prairie because of the abundance of deer. James Veatch, another son, married
Elizabeth Chandler, but he died when his children were small and the mother
remarried and went to Montgomery County. Isaac Veatch married Mary Ellen
Miller, daughter of Peter Miller, and as 'Squire Goudy said, "His descendants are scattered
from here to the Pacific." Isaac Veatch was married four times and had a large
number of children. He went to Oregon about 1850 and died there at the age
of 93. His grandson, an attorney in Portland, Oregon, wrote, "It wasn't until
Grandpa was past 90 that he finally decided to settle down." The Veatches have
played an important part in the development of the township. Mrs. Rosa Gentry,
who lives south of Enfield is a granddaughter of Isaac Veatch and Mr. Cleo
Veatch and Mr. Charlie Veatch, of Enfield are great grandsons.
-- Another name that appears often on the pages of Enfield's early history
is that of Trousdale. James Trousdale, the pioneer ancestor was a Revolutionary
soldier. Trousdales were in Gallatin County when the 1810 census was taken
... James Trousdale had a tavern at "Shawnee Town" in
1815--one had to be a man of good moral character to get a permit. Alexander
(Sandy) Trousdale had a subscription school in Gallatin County in 1826 ...
Trousdales came to White County about 1815 and settled in Indian Creek Township.
William McCoy Trousdale was one of the first of the name to come to Enfield
Township. His son, Samuel Trousdale, lived on the old homestead south of
town for many years. Mrs. Trousdale now resides in Enfield. Miss Emma Trousdale,
daughter of Alexander H. Trousdale, spent most of her life in Enfield.
Sterling -- Miss Ruby Sterling is the only member of her family living here
now. She is the daughter of John H. Sterling, born in Blount County, Tennessee,
in 1849, the son of Thomas Sterling, a native of Knox County, Tennessee. Thomas
Sterling was a soldier in the Civil War and died in 1862 from disease contracted
Rutledge -- There is no longer any one of the name living here but it is a
proud old name and there are many descendants of Jane (Rutledge) Miller. According
to tradition, John and Jane (Officer) Rutledge were born in Ireland and were
immigrants to South Carolina. Their sons Thomas and James were born there.
The family removed to Georgia after the Revolutionary War. Other children were
William, Robert, Jane and another daughter. Soon after 1807, they started the
long migration to the northwest. They spent some time in Henderson County,
Kentucky, and in the fall of 1813, came to what is now Enfield Township, though
then it was just a wilderness, a part of the Illinois Territory. We do not
know when John Rutledge died nor where he is buried. Robert Rutledge died in
Kentucky and was buried in a corner of the orchard on the farm. After living
in the Seven Mile Prairie Community about 14 or 15 years, Thomas Rutledge and
his family moved on to McLean County and Robert Rutledge's widow, who had come
here, took her children there too. James and William Rutledge and their families
went to Sangamon County, now Menard, where along with John M. Cameron, they
founded New Salem, that village on the Sangamon River where Ann, the daughter
of James, knew and loved Abraham Lincoln. Mrs. Jane Rutledge stayed at Seven
Mile Prairie in the home of her daughter, Mrs. James Miller. Mrs. Rutledge,
Ann Rutledge's grandmother, died in October, 1934, at the age of 85 and is
buried in the Enfield Cemetery.
Wilson -- The Wilsons lived in Hamilton County prior to coming to White County.
John B. Wilson came from Kentucky to Hamilton County in 1818. He brought his
family with him and one son was James M. Wilson. The Wilsons had a beautiful
country home in Hamilton County. James M. Wilson married Sarah Roberts Jan.
13, 1834. The ceremony was performed by Rev. David W. McLin. Sarah was the
daughter of Pleasant Maurice Roberts. John Nelson Wilson, the son of James
M. and Sarah Wilson was born in 1837 and married Margery M. Boyer in 1860.
John B. Wilson went to Nauvoo with the Mormons and died in 1850 on his way
to Salt Lake City. John N. Wilson was a First Lieutenant in the Civil War and
served as acting Captain. He served as County Judge after the war. Mr. Wilson
was a teacher, postmaster and at one time had a stationery shop.
Proudfit -- Mrs James B. Proudfit, formerly Virginia Linder, is one of the
oldest citizens of Enfield. She was born in Tennessee in 1858 and came to Illinois
when quite young. The Linders owned the site of Mill Shoals. The Proudfits
trace their ancestry back to 1753 when the Reverend James Proudfit, son of
Andrew of Scotland and a graduate of the University, came to the Colonies as
one of the first three Associate Reformed Presbyterian Ministers in America.
He was accompanied by his brothers, Andrew, and two other brothers, David and
Robert, came the next year. A son of Andrew Proudfit, Jr., the Reverend David
Proudfit married Sarah, the daughter of Colonel William Patterson, in 1798
and James B. Proudfit was their grandson.
Foster -- Andrew Johnson Foster was the last of the name in Enfield. He was
the son of Archie G. Foster, born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1839 son of Archie
Foster, a native of Virginia, Archie G. Foster came to Enfield Township in
1863 and moved to Enfield in 1878. He had a livery stable and sold farm machinery.
He was married in 1860 to Louisa Talkington. Some time after 1883, he served
as Postmaster. Captain Samuel Foster was a brother of Archie G. Foster. He
was born in 1833, in Butler County, Ohio, and came to this township in 1860.
He was Captain of Company G., 87th Illinois Cavalry in the Civil War. He was
married in 1865 to Julia A. Boyer. Captain Boyer served as Associate Judge
of White County. His daughter, Julia (Mrs. A. G. Land) is living in Enfield
and his daughter, Margaret, Mrs. Charles Moreland, at Norris City.
Garrett -- John M. Garrett was born in Alabama in 1832, the son of John Garrett.
The family moved to Tennessee and then to Kentucky. In 1844, they moved to
Pope County, Illinois. Mr. Garrett enlisted in the Union Army, and in 1863
was taken prisoner. He was sent to Catawba prison and then to Andersonville,
the notorious prison of the South. In 1879 he established a grocery in Enfield
and kept tin, glass and queen's ware.
Hunsingser -- The Hunsinger family is one of the oldest in the county. From
Germany they came to North Carolina, to Kentucky and then to White County where
they settled near Burnt Prairie, in 1819. James Hunsinger now lives in Enfield
as do the descendants of Ellen (Hunsinger) Miller, and Mary (Hunsinger) Jordan.
Esther Hunsinger married William R. Miller.
Kuykendall -- Perry C. Kuykendall, son of Jacob Kuykendall was born in Indiana
in 1840. He served in the Civil War. In 1873 he came to Enfield and opened
a grocery, also dealing in boots and shoes, tin, wooden ware, etc. In 1882,
he built a brick store, 80 by 22 and two stories high at a cost of $3,500.
Mr. Kuykendall had five children, Charles who died when young, Ferry R., Susan,
Clinton and Wave, who married Dan Martin. Mrs. Miranda Kuykendall, widow of
Perry C., and her daughter, Mrs. Susan Grant, lived in the old Kuykendall home
for many years.
Latham -- Samuel Latham, M. D., was born in Johnson County, Illinois, a son
of Carter Latham of Tennessee, who immigrated to Illinois in 1815. Doctor Latham
came to Enfield in 1874 and had a beautiful colonial house on West Main Street
which he bought from the father of Mr. William Finney.
Mr. William Finney is one of the grand old men of Enfield Township. His people
have always been prominent citizens. He was born in the house where Sam Rainey
now lives, but at that time it was located on the corner that is now the
location of Miller Poore's house. The large colonial white house that once
stood on the site of the Ray Ruemmler house was built by Mr. Finney's father,
William C. Finney. When he was six years old Mr. Finney started to school
to Joe Odell in the old two room frame building Mr. Finney has written several
interesting articles about the early days in Enfield entitled "Down
Memory Lane." Mr. Finney will be 88 on his next birthday. For the past few
months. he has been absent from Enfield, living with his niece, Mrs. Herschel
Steele, in Eldorado.
Mayes -- The Mayes family has been one of the most difficult to trace. A James
Mayes and a Thomas Mayes were here as early as 1813, but it is only on the
distaff side that I have been able to follow up their descendants. A great
granddaughter of James Mayes is now living in Long Beach, Cal., and her son
is a prominent business executive in New York City. A Mayes married a Rutledge
girl in Georgia and both died there leaving five orphan children. The uncles,
Thomas Mayes and William Rutledge, went to Georgia in an ox cart and brought
the children to Illinois in 1815. The youngest was just a baby. Samuel Mayes,
the only boy, went to Missouri and there are no further records of him. The
four girls married in White County and have a host of descendants. Mary married
a Miller, Melinda a Wallace, Minerva a Gowdy and Jane a Grimes.
Jordan -- The Jordans are descended from seven Jordan Brothers who came from
Smith County, Tennessee, in 1804 and settled in Franklin and Williamson Counties
in Illinois. Francis Jordan built a fort on the site of West Frankfort. William
Jordan came to White County during the War of 1812 and settled in Indian Creek
Township. He was the progenitor of nearly all the White County Jordans. His
son, Elias, married Lucinda Miller, daughter of James Miller. They were the
parents of nine children. All of these children are now dead. Mr. John M. Jordan
who lived on the old homestead of James Miller was the last survivor. Grandchildren
of Elias and Lucinda Jordan now living in Enfield or the township are Zeke
Jordan, Mrs. Maude (Jordan) Wilson, and Thomas Jordan.
Long -- Doctor Thomas Long was a native of England who came to this country
at an early day. William and George were his sons by his first marriage. He
may have had other children by this marriage, but if so, I do not have their
names. By his second marriage to Mary Ann (Gowdy) Boyer, widow of Michael Boyer,
he had three children of whom I have records--Richard Thomas Long, Felix Long
and Lizzie Long, who married a Finch and has children living in Carmi. Richard
Thomas Long moved away many years ago. Doctor Felix Long lived in Enfield all
his life and was the well loved physician. Doctor Thomas Long's house stood
on top of the hill for many years and was moved to make way for the Thomas
Willis house (now owned by Chalon Land). Doctor Felix Long built a home north
of his father's. He married Emma Akers, daughter of Joseph and Lucinda (Gowdy)
Akers. They had two sons, Richard and Virgil.
Anderson -- The Andersons came from Guilford County, North Carolina. John
Anderson removed to Sumner County, Tennessee and then to Illinois where he
lived in White County. Mr. Anderson died, leaving his wife, Sarah a widow with
nine children. She left Enfield Township to live in Hamilton County about five
miles from Enfield. Mrs. Anderson died at Pliney Gowdy's in 1845. Henry Patillo
Anderson was a son of John Anderson. He was named for Henry Patillo, a venerable
clergyman in Guilford County, North Carolina. Henry P. Anderson was one of
the leading men in the township before his early death in 1849. He was very
intelligent and had studied surveying and law and was well versed in history.
In 1826, he married Mary Roberts (called Polly) who was the daughter of Pleasant
Maurice Roberts, who was killed at the Battle of River Raisin in the War of
1812. She was a granddaughter of Robert Nelson, a soldier in the Revolutionary
War. Henry P. and Mary Anderson had nine children. Uncle John Anderson, who
died in 1923, was one of the sons and a finer old gentleman never lived. His
wife was Pauline Kirk. They had three children on their own, but their home
was always open to any child who needed love and care. James Anderson, a son,
died when young. Another son, Joseph, left a son, James, who lives west of
town. The old home place, part of it a grant for the services of Henry P. Anderson
in the Black Hawk War, is still in the possession of the family. The descendants
of the daughter, Mrs. A. C. (Fannie) Biggerstaff, lives in Colorado. Uncle
John Anderson helped survey the village of Enfield and owned one of the first
lots west of the Methodist Church. Mr. James Jordan, who now lives in Florida,
Mrs. May Keene of St. Louis and Mrs. Maude Jordan of Enfield are grandchildren
of Henry P. Anderson.
Biggerstaff -- The Biggerstaffs were pioneer residents of Enfield Township.
Hiram Biggerstaff married Susannah Fields in 1821 and Samuel Biggerstaff married
Elizabeth Head in 1831. The family has an extensive Biggerstaff genealogy that
goes back to before the Revolutionary War.
Benjamin Austin was born in Warren County, Tennessee, in 1816. He was a son
of Elisha Austin, a native of North Carolina. The family moved to Kentucky
and then to Illinois about 1830. The year Benjamin Austin came to White County,
1833, he saw the stars fall when returning from corn husking. His first wife
was Lucinda Emerson by whom he had nine children. After her death he married
Susanna Kello and they were the parents of eleven children. Benjamin Austin
died in 1893 and is buried in the Johnson Cemetery east of Enfield.
The Johnsons of Enfield are nearly all descended from Arthur Johnson, Revolutionary
soldier, who was born in Brunswick County, Virginia. He was married to Lucy
Harmon in 1779 and they had twelve children. After the war the family moved
to Kentucky and about 1806 to Gibson County, Indiana, and then to Illinois
about 1820. Doctor Martin Johnson and Arthur Lewis Johnson were grandsons of
Arthur Johnson. Mrs. W. W. Fields, Mrs. Lawrence Gott, Mrs. W. W. Wright and
Mr. Ed White of Enfield and Mr. Sherman Johnson of Maunie are all members of
the fifth generation of the Johnson family.
Alfred Baker, M. D., was born in Indiana in 1826, a son of William Baker,
a native of Mason County, Kentucky. He went on a trip to New Orleans and because
of an epidemic of measles started home. He was so footsore and weary that he
lay down to die in the house of one Welch in Jefferson County. Mr. Welch saw
him writing and offered to get him a school. He taught a subscription school
and was paid $2.50 per pupil for three months. Then he went to Medical School
in Evansville, Ind., and in 1851 came to Enfield. He married Sarah J., a daughter
of Doctor Martin Johnson, and was one of the early physicians in Enfield.
McLin -- There are no McLins in Enfield now, but in 1818 a Daniel McLin took
up extensive tracts of land in Enfield Township. Reverend David McLin organized
Hopewell Church as well as other churches in this part of the state. William
Anderson McLin must have had a store or at least a stock of goods in his home
judging from the papers relating to the administration of his estate. His wife's
name was Sally. There was also a James S. McLin. They were all members of the
Hopewell Church, but except for the Reverend David McLin, I know little about
Welsh -- Arthur E. Welsh was the son of William Welsh. He was married to Anna
Hall and they were the parents of two children, Ernest Welsh and Katherine,
now Mrs. Willard Kirk. Mr. Welsh was very prominent in Church and Civic affairs--a
leader in the Methodist Church of which he and his wife were long time members.
Mr. and Mrs. Welsh have been dead for several years, but both children survive
them--Ernest in Dayton, Ohio, and Mrs. Kirk and her husband living in the fine
old home built by Mr. Welsh, in which they recently celebrated their golden
Land -- There is a tradition that John W. Land and his sister, Harriet, came
to White County on horse back from Posey County, Indiana, to visit relatives
and that their parents had moved to Posey County from Kentucky. Harriet Land
married William Head in White County in 1831 and they went to Kentucky to live.
The Head plantation covered the site of Providence. John W. Land married Elizabeth,
daughter of Thomas Fields. After a few years John W. Land took his family to
Kentucky and died there in 1848. His eldest son, Thomas, was overseer of slaves
on his uncle, William Head's plantation. About 1851, Elizabeth Fields decided
to bring her family back to White County--four boys and two girls. One son,
Alexander G. Land was killed in the Civil War. Of the third generation from
John W. Land. Mrs. Ed (Olive Land) King is living in Enfield.
John Upton was in the vicinity of the present site of Enfield in 1819 when
he took up his first tract of land. He had a mill down where the B. & 0.
now runs in 1826 and he and his son, John, Jr., took up more land in 1836.
The Uptons were natives of Tennessee and came to White County in 1815, when
the country was new and Indians and wild game were abundant. Richard Upton
was an early settler in Mill Shoals Township and William Upton laid out Springerville
in 1857, John Storms, Surveyor. Mr. Albert Upton is the only member of the
Enfield family who is left and he is now at the Carmi Nursing Home. Until
he was well past 80, Uncle Albert retained his zest for living and no one
enjoyed talking about the pranks of his early days as much as he. One Mule
Day not too long ago, he and his boyhood sweetheart, a daughter of Captain
James Fields, tripped through an old fashioned dance on the street platform.
They stepped as lightly as if they were 18 instead of 80!
Kirk -- Samuel Kirk came here from Montgomery County, Tennessee, in 1848 where
he resided until his death in 1882. Frederick Kirk, his son, married in 1852,
Sarah Jane, daughter of Henry P. Anderson. They had four children, William
M., Susan, James and Sarah J. Sarah J. married J. W. Davis in 1894 and their
children who live in Enfield are Mrs. Charles W. Land and Miss Nan L. Davis.
Mr. Willard Kirk and Mr. Ed B. Kirk are sons of William M. Kirk. Samuel Kirk
had other children and Ed L. Kirk is a descendant of one of the sons.
Males -- The Males family traces back to Revolutionary stock, a soldier who
came to Vincennes with George Rogers Clark, and liked Indiana so much that
he decided to make it his home. William P. Males, grandson of the soldier,
came to Enfield in 1870, after serving in the Indiana Infantry in the Civil
War and engaged in the undertaking business with S.F. Tyner. He was married
in 1860 to Louisa Whiting and they had one son, Jesse. Mrs. Males died in 1864
and in 1867, he married Cecelia Davis. They were the parents of Nancy, Laura,
Martha and Mary. Martha, wife of Doctor Karl Strickland, lives in Owensville,
Indiana. A son of S. F. Tyner, Wm. Tyner, lives in Enfield.
Montgomery -- Rev. Andrew S. Montgomery was born in Newberry County, S. C.,
in 1822. His father, Robert Montgomery, was a native of Ireland. Rev. Montgomery
came to White County in 1864 and was pastor of United Presbyterian Church.
Montgomery -- Prof. Mark Montgomery was born in Dade County, Mo., in 1854.
He was a son of George W. Montgomery, and was educated in Lincoln University.
He came to Illinois in 1880 and took charge of the Southern Illinois Academy.
Albert A. Newman was born in Carmi Township in 1843. His father, Thomas Newman
was a native of Virginia. Albert A. served in the Civil War and was captured
and held prisoner at Andersonville Prison. He weighed 78 pounds when he came
home. His brother, George, was taken
prisoner at the same time and starved to death in prison. Mr. Newman was
married in 1866 to Sarah J. Secrest. They had two children, Joseph P. and
Pearce -- The ancestry of the Pearce family has been traced back to the Mayflower.
Reverend Jesse Pearce was the first Cumberland Presbyterian minister ordained
in the state of Illinois. He was born in 1788 and was related to Hoses Pearce,
Colonel in the Black Hawk War and County Sheriff. The wife of Rev. Jesse Pearce
died in 1833 after a few hours illness of cholera leaving eleven children.
Dr. Robert Davis died the same year of the dread pestilence, leaving eleven
children too. Not long after Mrs. Davis and Rev. Pearce were married, and the
22 children got along well together. Rev. Moses Pearce was the son of Rev.
Jesse Pearce and his son was James M. Pearce who lived in Enfield and who married
Julia Miller, daughter of Mark A. Miller. Mrs. W. A. (Edith Pearce) McClain
is the only child now living. Rev. Jesse Pearce was ordained at Hopewell Church
in Enfield Township.
Cameron -- If any descendants of Thomas Cameron, Jr., who came to what is
now Enfield Township during the War of 1812 and built a block house about three
and one half miles east of the present location of the town, I do not know
of them. Thomas Cameron, Jr., and his wife, Nancy (Miller) Cameron went on
to Coles County where they died. Their son, the Reverend John M. Cameron, went
to New Salem with James Rutledge and it was at his home that Lincoln stayed
during part of his sojourn in New Salem. But Peter Miller's wife was related
to the Camerons so the number who can claim Cameron blood is legion. Rev. John
M. Cameron died in California.
Joseph Benham of Massachusetts settled in Indiana in 1819 and died in 1832.
Stewart Benham, his son was born in 1820 in Harrison County, Indiana. He
came to this county in 1854 and settled near Enfield. He was a farmer but
he had a flour and saw mill at Enfield for a few years. Grandsons of Stewart
Benham living in Enfield are Mark and Roy Benham. Their mother was a Gilham,
a descendant of the Reverend John Gilham.
Berry -- Joel Berry was an early settler in Enfield Township. His son, William
H. Berry, was born here in 1841 and lived here all his life except the time
of his service in the Civil War. Wm. H. Berry's mother was a Johnson.
Brockett -- William M. Brockett, who will be remembered by the older people
of Enfield, was the son of William W. Brockett born in Saline County in 1817
and grandson of Benjamin Brockett, a native of South Carolina, who came to
Illinois in a very early day and to this county in 1822.
Brown -- Marcus L. Brown, M. D., was born in Memphis, Tenn., in 1838, son
of Dr. Marcus L. Brown, Sr., who brought his family to this county in 1850
and settled where Brown's Station now is. Marcus L., Jr., read medicine under
his father and was educated at Moore's Hill Academy, Ind. He married Belinda,
daughter of William Draper. One of his sons was Robert J. who married Madeline
Land. They were residents of Enfield for years. Thomas and Mark Brown are sons
of Robert J. Brown.
Dolan -- Hon. Patrick Dolan, son of Michael Dolan, was born in Queen's County,
Ireland, in 1815, and came to America in 1834, and lived in the states of New
York and Connecticut for three years. He was an engineer and worked in Cincinnati,
Ohio, and Evansville, Ind. He built a large business block in Evansville and
engaged in the mercantile business. In 1851, he returned to Enfield and lived
on his farm about two miles southwest of town where he kept a general store.
He was a representative in the Illinois General Assembly. He was the first
Irishman and the first Catholic to settle in this locality and services were
held in his house for several years. He married Maria Connelly in 1835 and
they had ten children.
William Emerson came to this county about 1815, from Tennessee. His son,
Reuben Emerson was a miller in Carmi and served as County .Judge. Reuben
Emerson married Susan Roberts, sister of Mary Roberts who married Henry Patillo
Anderson. "Uncle Billy" Emerson, son of Reuben
Emerson, lived in Enfield for many years and his sister, Miss Jane, was one
of the first teachers in the new brick school in 1882.
There are other names that I would like to mention--The Rices have such an
interesting history. Ebeneezer Rice, a native of Wales, was a missionary to
the Chickasaw Indians. His son, Joel, who was born in Vermont, spoke his first
words in the Indian tongue. Joel Rice went to California in '49 and returned
to found the village of Sacramento. Many descendants of Ebeneezer Rice have
lived in Enfield.--Then there was Doctor A. M. McClain, an early physician,
who married Emma, the daughter of Doctor Martin Johnson, the founder of Enfield.
Their daughter, Mrs. Lawrence Gott, is the only member of the family left living
here. The McCoys were an interesting family--William McCoy, a West Virginian,
went to Kentucky with his ten sons and three daughters in 1804. William, one
son, settled in Golconda and his great granddaughter was Mary (Cloud) McCoy
who gave the McCoy Memorial Library to McLeansboro. Welter, another son, came
to Enfield Township and was the father-in-law of William Jordan. (See Jordan
History). The Robinsons were related to the McCoys, too. Harrison Robinson,
who lived on a farm northeast of town where Thomas Cameron's blockhouse once
stood, married the widow of Ezekial McCoy, son of William McCoy. She was an
Overfield, and that brings up another name well known in Enfield Township.
There were four Abner Overfields, The first Abner Overfield and his family
came from Pennsylvania to Mason County, Kentucky in 1854 with Simon Kenton,
the great Indian fighter.
research is one of the most fascinating of avocations. There are always new
pathways to explore--surprises awaiting you around the corner. We learn that
these ancestors of ours had in a way the same difficulties and the same problems
to solve that we have today. It is a trite saying but true--"History
<< Part 2
Above information obtained from the website of Cindy